Federal Election Issues
CTO calls on the major parties to:
1. Fund continued capability subsidies and block funding to ensure service provision, recognising community transport as the key enabler in wellness, reablement and restorative care in aged care.
2. Introduce of a Social Values method of government procurement to recognise the social return on investment provided by the Third Sector and in particular community transport services.
3. Introduce travel allowances within the NDIS to be used for ad-hoc purposes associated with ‘living an ordinary life’ ensuring participant choice and control, proper planning and full and adequate funding. This action recognises that transport is integral to disability core supports. Without this the NDIS will fail in its aim to enhance the independence, social and economic participation of people with disability and their carers.
4. Replace the transport component of ‘Assistance to Access Community, Social and Recreational Activities’ with ‘NDIS Fundable Travel and Transport for Core Supports’, as well as providing additional NDIS funding specifically for this purpose. This will ensure that the reasonable and necessary transport support needs of NDIS participants are clearly provided for within participant plans.
5. Restrict competitive tendering to the contracting of new services to engage existing quality contract-holders for future specialised aged care transport.
6. Adequately fund CTO a premier peak body for community transport to support the community transport sector to provide the greatest quality and value to both the Australian public and the Australian Government.